[AccessD] Excel 2013 CopyFromRecordset "Interface not registered" error when copying Ac2013 DAO recordset to a range

Bill Benson bensonforums at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 22:20:57 CST 2017

The infrastructure team built a new VDI image, and CopyFromRecordset now
works again, hooray. I know very little about Access databases in general,
and far less about ADO, so I am glad I did not need to rewrite this tool to
use ADO.

I wasn't able to use an ADO connection, because the database needs to be
opened with exclusive access in order to create and delete tables, compact
on close, and other activities. Maybe alternative routines could have been
devised, but not worth the investment.

I did try a couple of workarounds including

(1) output query results to temp tables, then copied the database to
another location, using ADO against the snapshot

(2) outputting queries using DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport,
acSpreadsheetTypeExcel12Xml, "QryTempUpdate", strWBNAME then opening the
output file and copying its data to the same range I had been populating
with CopyFromRecordset.

But on balance, CopyFromRecordset is just so efficient, I feel we dodged a
bullet with the new VDI image no longer having the same issue.