[AccessD] FW: Searchable online

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Wed Mar 8 11:23:04 CST 2017

Dear List(s):

My son who is in a doctorate program in Psych send the following email asking for advice from me and his uber-geek brother. He writes:

I need help -- it may be impossible, but if anyone could do it, you guys can.

When I Google my full name there are dozens of results that give info like my age, full names of family members, past places of residence, etc. Since I am working with the public and could possibly next year be working with psychiatric hospital patients (yikes), I'd like to hide or remove as many of them as possible. Or is there a way to ask for a filter on Google search so the results don't show up and people have to go directly to the URL to see them?

Thoughts?

His brother posted the following advice:

Cleaning up personal Google search results is exceedingly difficult. Google allows no native way to do this, and so it's effectively impossible without going to each site individually. So it ultimately depends on what you want to clean up.

There are two time-tested ways of cleaning up personal information:

 - Start creating content that replaces it in search results online. This doesn't erase personal info, but it sure does bury it.

 - For each entry, go through that particular site's routes for permanently deleting your account.

It may also be useful to set up a Google Alert on your name and contact info.  You'll get an email from Google whenever they appear somewhere online.

So I’m wondering what other advice anyone here might have which may also be useful for the rest of us.

I thank you all in advance and will forward any of your advice to both of them.

MTIA

Rocky Smolin

Beach Access Software

760-683-5777