[AccessD] Running a Dir command from within Access vba

Doug Steele dbdoug at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 14:07:49 CDT 2017

Here is some butchered code I pulled out of an old database.  It does a
recursive search to get all file names down through all subfolders of the
starting folder.  The original code did a bunch of processing on each file
name found; I've cut this code out and hopefully left a skeleton that you
can understand. You need to set a reference to the Microsoft Scripting
Runtime to get access to properties like .files, .subfolders etc.

Public Sub GetFiles(strStartingPath, strPath)

    Dim File
    Dim Subfols
    Dim SubFol
    Dim strSubFolderPath As String
    Dim CurrentPath As String
    Dim CurrentFile As String
    Dim FullPathFile As String
    Dim files

    Set files = strStartingPath.files

    For Each File In files

        'remove any trailing backslash in MyPath name
        If Right(strPath, 1) = "\" Then strPath = Left(strPath,
Len(strPath) - 1)
                CurrentFile = File.Name
                'add processing for this File.Name, like writing it to a
table
                CurrentPath = strPath
                FullPathFile = CurrentPath & "\" & CurrentFile
    Next

    'recursive search on subfolders
    Set Subfols = strStartingPath.subfolders
    For Each SubFol In Subfols
        If Right(strPath, 1) <> "\" Then strPath = strPath & "\"
        strSubFolderPath = strPath & SubFol.Name
        GetFiles SubFol, strSubFolderPath

    Next

End Sub