[AccessD] Converting from Access 2007 to 2016

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Thu Mar 16 06:33:25 CDT 2017

Janet,

 Moving from 2007 to 2016 you should find a fairly smooth process.

 However starting with A2013, a number of features were removed:

1. dbf support
2. support for Jet 3.x DB's
3. e-mail data collection feature
4. ADP's

 are the high points.   The rest are covered here.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Discontinued-features-and-modified-
functionality-in-Access-2013-BC006FC3-5B48-499E-8C7D-9A2DFEF68E2F

 If your not using any of those features, then you'll be fine and it will be
painless.

 On references, as long as you continue to have A2007 folks, continue to
develop in A2007.  The basic references that Access uses will automatically
"up version" when opened with A2016.   You cannot do the reverse however;
develop in A2016 and have someone with A2007 open the DB.  The references
will not automatically down version.

  If you set references beyond those basic ones (ie. Outlook), then you'll
need to be careful.  Late binding is the best as the others have said, but
if you wanted, you could maintain two versions of the app while converting
everyone.  Late binding does give a performance hit of about 15%, but that's
the route most go anyway.   With late binding, you can continue to develop
one version in A2007 for everyone.

 Of course before you try anything, make sure your apps compile cleanly in
2007 and save off copies of everything.

Jim.