[AccessD] SQL Server back end conversion

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 08:17:41 CDT 2018

Fred,

I did a year contract for IBM in research triangle park.  During that
time I was tasked with completely rewriting an access database that no
one understood and which only kinda sorta worked.  I had to analyze a
ton of queries which were more complex than most anything I had ever
encountered.  Statistical stuff. The queries were based on a dozen
tables.  The queries were layered, i.e. a set of data pulled into
Access, manipulated, stored in temp tables, then those results used to
pull more data, manipulated, stored, used for more data etc.

It was a mess but it was based on a process by a skilled person who
understood the data but not databases.

I ended up pulling all of that crap out of access.  I built stored
procedures which did pretty much the exact same thing but back in the
SQL Server.  The result was a LONG and COMPLEX stored procedure that
returned a data set from that stored procedure. The times dropped from
dozens of minutes to a dozen seconds.  The ENTIRE thing was SQL Server
based TSQL sitting out in SQL Server and executed by a query in Access
that just told SQL Server to return some results.

Users won't wait for dozens of minutes for results from Access, and
worse, because Access is single threaded, the user interface freezes.
They will wonder if the computer is hung.  They will reset their
computer.  Things get ugly.