[AccessD] Microsoft Office Support - animated GIFs

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Apr 12 03:05:44 CDT 2018

Hi all

Microsoft is currently busy with improving the support and help pages, focusing on those with a poor feedback.
Recently, I worked with Jeff Conrad to improve a topic I recall - in my early Access days -  to be difficult to get hold on, due to the total lack of visual help: Union queries.

The old article was lengthy and with much text, and for many - from the feedback to read - simply uncomprehensive.
So, I brought in the collapsible view used widely by Microsoft and some animated GIFs to make it more appealing.

While animated GIFs is a quick method to visualise things, they aren't easy to edit, and they are not that user friendly - you cannot stop the animation, and it isn't easy to start over, and - in general - users are more familiar with videos.
Thus, Jeff decided to remake them as videos. Only the first has been replaced, so the second GIF is still on-line:

    Use a union query to combine multiple queries into a single result
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-a-union-query-to-combine-multiple-queries-into-a-single-result-1F772EC0-CC73-474D-AB10-AD0A75541C6E

What do you think of this format?

I'm not asking for "likes" (= This page was helpful). Rather, you should not, as you are not in the target group.

/gustav