[AccessD] Access for Office 365 - New Linked Table Manager

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 28 12:16:20 CDT 2018

You seem to have taken a very prudent approach to your systems structure...good on you.

For my approach I have used my router as my first line of defence. First I set the firewall setting to SPI. It can be described in a complex manner but it really means; send out a request on a port, the response is expect back on the same port. This stops a remote application from responding on a port that does not have the appropriate listener. (I have turned ping reply off)

Second, I decided to no longer use either IIS or Apache web server and am now using NodeJS. Security through obscurity.

Third, I have put each website within its own Docker Containers, If a site gets hacked it can be deleted and replaced in minutes.

Fourth, when wandering I always use a non recording VPN. There are so many hacker bots and they will tend to pound on a router until they find an open port and then... Anytime I have failed to browse anonymously my email fills with ads.

Fifth, when remoting in always use SSH or SSL. Full encryption and if the authorize security is setup between the remote and local stations, it replaces username/password login. Great when doing remote support or backups etc... as the processes can be fully automated.

Sixth, when remoting in via RDP (should never be used but there are occasions), I change the address from the default via editing the registry.

That is but a few standards I use...not perfect but along with backups recovery and access security I feel relatively safe.

Jim