[AccessD] Access crashes when assigning empty recordset

Fred Hooper fahooper at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 21:19:48 CDT 2018

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately if I comment out the line that
sets the recordset to nothing it still crashes.

So I tried changing the value on the server with a stored procedure and
used well-tested “refresh” code (it has to be refreshed by executing a SP;
Access can’t Refresh an ADO recordset). That failed too. Finally I changed
the value, closed and reopened the form — which worked.

I guess I’m in some form of never never land. But it’s so fast; I’m getting
5 ms form fill and refresh times.

The refresh approach (and code) that failed works perfectly for subforms;
this was my first use of it for a main form. Happily, there isn’t another
form like this one, so I’ll probably keep the close/open kludge.

My memory is that you wrote something about disconnected recordsets, it was
part of getting me started on this approach — for which I also thank you.