[AccessD] Law of Unintended Consequences

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed Jan 24 17:13:39 CST 2024

VPNs route traffic through  pools IP addresses (doing address translation between your real
IP address and the one assigned to your connection from the pool).

Many VPN services use multiple pools of addresses in (or assigned to) different countries.
.
Evrery time you visit a site through a VPN, the final leg uses the pool address you've been
assigned.
.
If the site is using that IP address for targeted advertising, it will either use geo-location to
see where that address is nominally located, or use info it has stored about the last visitor
that came from the address.

You may like to read: https://allaboutcookies.org/vpn-disadvantages