[BEU-Support] BeUp achievement!

Tony Jacoby tonyj at solutionsonhand.com
Thu Apr 29 19:10:44 CDT 2004

Hi

I've been using BeUp for a year or so and I find it a great tool and I'm
continually amazed that it's free!

I just wanted to let you know what I achieved with a bit of thought and
effort, in case nobody has tried this before and someone might ask in
future.

I have a database with several tables where I had to extend the field size
of a common field (which I'll call FieldX), which was part of the Primary
Key.  I found that I couldn't do this simply with a Modify Field so I put
together a sequence of Adds, Modifys and Deletes, as follows:

1. New version.
2. Field, Add, "FieldXNEW"
3. SQL, "UPDATE tblTableX SET tblTableX.FieldXNEW = [FieldX];"
4. Index, Delete, PrimaryKey
5. Field, Delete, "FieldX"
6. Apply the new version and modifications before continuing.
7. New version.
8. Field, Modify, "FieldXNEW", New Field Name: "FieldX"
9. Apply the new version again before continuing.
10. New version.
11. Index, Add, add the fields required, including "FieldX", Index Name:
"PrimaryKey"

I followed the same steps for each table that contained FieldX, and kept
applying my changes each step of the way.  Then when I restored an old copy
of the database, from before I had applied any of the changes, each new
version was applied and it all worked perfectly.

Hopefully someone else will benefit from this in the future.

Regards,
Tony

Tony Jacoby
Solutions On Hand
Level 1
86-90 Bay Street
BROADWAY NSW 2007
AUSTRALIA
Telephone: +61 2 9281 8122
Facsimile: +61 2 9211 7811
Email: tonyj at solutionsonhand.com

Important Note
---------------------
This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named
above and may contain information that is confidential and privileged.  If
you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachments is
strictly prohibited.  When addressed to our clients, any opinions or advice
contained in this e-mail are subject to the terms and conditions expressed
in our engagement.  We expressly deny any liability for unauthorised use and
for e-mail sent by our staff for private purposes.  If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail or by
telephoning
+61 2 9211 5977 and destroy the original message.
Thank you.