[dba-conf] LA Conference

Jim Lawrence (AccessD) accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Jul 10 13:46:24 CDT 2004

Hi Joe:

Thank you for all your efforts. I think many developers are still suffering
from post 2000 shell-shock. Everyone is still a little shy to take time off,
especially if they are contracting. There are not enough developers that
have steady gigs and most of those are just a bunch sedentary old farts.

If you decide to have a go at it again, send me an email and we will post a
full page on our web site. Maybe then the event will show a higher profile.

One other issue that could make the event more attractive would be to
encourage but not expect the 'presentation' requirement, from those
attending....but that would require an executive decision. A poll done, a
while back, asked a random sampling of people, what was their greatest fear.
Public speaking garnered almost 10 points more than death.

Again, thanks for you work, so far and even I may be able to get away at a
later time.

Jim