[Dba-office] Outlook template and macro

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Jan 11 09:47:02 CST 2016

Hi all

I have never programmed anything in Outlook, neither bothered with templates.

However, a client has an urgent need and asks for help to modify a template and - stupid me - responded that I could take care as the original programmer is gone-gone. How difficult can that be?

Well, in Outlook 2016, I have managed to find the Developer checkbox and mark it, so I do have the Developer ribbon present. But that's about it. In other words, I'm in serious trouble ...

I have a zip with these files to work with (xyz is client's name):

    olkexplorer.officeUI
    olkmailread.officeUI
    xyz.oft
    xyzVbaProject.otm

also:

    xyz.bat (seems to be a bat file to copy the otm file to the user's folder)

I can open the oft file and make some changes, but I cannot find out how to "Save As" ... clicking the menu does nothing, so it seems.

But where does the otm file come in? I can find no way to open it.

Also, the target is both Outlook 2010 and 2013. Can I safely program for these in 2016 or 2013 given that the original code is for 2010/2013?

As you can see, this is indeed not my ballgame.
So could someone provide a short guide or direct me to a crash course in Outlook development, please?

/gustav