[dba-SQLServer]security and SQL Server Desktop (MSDE)

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Thu Apr 17 08:50:59 CDT 2003

I wouldn't call myself an expert on it, but I'd suggest that you run QA and
open the object browser and look at the Common Objects/Security Functions
node. You'll see that there are functions to determine if a user is a member
of a group, a role and so on. You can add users using the sp_adduser stored
procedure. For details run QA, select the Master database and run sp_help
sp_adduser in the query window.

I'm a big fan of roles. I build them up additively. Public gets little or no
access to anything. Data-Entry gets the right to add, update and delete some
tables using sprocs and views (no direct access). Management gets access to
other sprocs and views that are the datasource for various reports.
Developer gets lots more power :-) I can bring the company to its knees if I
want, oooohhhh ha ha ha ha ha (evil grin)....

A.