[dba-SQLServer]EM

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Wed Apr 23 17:07:09 CDT 2003

This one is a tough one to diagnose, because you see on a Dell 4400 w/ 512
megs of Ram (P4 1.6) the system just comes to a crawl every now and again
and only really when I am running Outlook.  One thing I found out early on
w/ the crappy P4/Dell solutions is that you have to load the damn Intel
Accelerator software in order to make the system speed up otherwise it's
slower than a Celeron 600, NO JOKE, I do tax my local pc some, I usually
will have

Outlook
Outlook Express
EM * 2
QA * 3 or 4 depends
Access 2000 * 2 or 3 (depends)
ultraVNC
Sql Server 2000 Desktop

and McAfee A/V (of course)...
generally that leaves me w/ an average of 200megs physical ram free.

At home by contrast I can have the same number of EM/QA and Access sessions
open along with a few IE browser windows open and also SqlServer 2000
desktop plus I may be encoding (compressing)  a TV show while another is
playing... the home processor is an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ and until recently
had only 512 ddr also but now have upgraded it to 1gig ;o).  My home pc does
all that and still has room to encode some MP3's or anything else I want to
throw at it. and I don't get the long pauses that I do here at work.

the OS is the same on both systems and I am up to SP2 on both, by contrast
the home pc has 3 hdd's for a total of 185gig while the work pc only has
60gig hdd...

what OS are you running on your local pc (not the server)

-Francisco
http://rcm.netfirms.com

On Wednesday, April 23, 2003 12:03 PM [GMT-8],