[dba-SQLServer]SQL Import Spec

Mark Boyd MarkBoyd at McBeeAssociates.com
Fri Apr 25 14:38:34 CDT 2003

I have been loading gigs and gigs of data into our SQL Server for the
past month.

The process is fairly time consuming:

1.	Import a 16 GB text file into a 1 field SQL table
2.	Run a sproc to separate records into 7 different tables based on
record layout
3.	Export each of the 7 tables from SQL to text
4.	Import each of the 7 text files into linked SQL tables using
Access import specs.

I need to do this for almost 70 16 GB text files.  Each file takes about
a day to fully load.

Is there a way to expedite this process?  I am really looking for a way
to save an import spec in Enterprise Mgr.

That way, I can omit using Access and run the whole process as a SQL
job, with very minimal human interaction.

Any direction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Boyd

Sr. Systems Analyst