[dba-SQLServer]SQL Import Spec

Francisco H Tapia fhtapia at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 25 14:52:33 CDT 2003

Have you looked into using DTS?

-Francisco
http://rcm.netfirms.com

On Friday, April 25, 2003 12:38 PM [GMT-8],
Mark Boyd <MarkBoyd at mcbeeassociates.com> wrote:

: I have been loading gigs and gigs of data into our SQL Server for the
: past month.
:
: The process is fairly time consuming:
:
: 1. Import a 16 GB text file into a 1 field SQL table
: 2. Run a sproc to separate records into 7 different tables based on
: record layout
: 3. Export each of the 7 tables from SQL to text
: 4. Import each of the 7 text files into linked SQL tables using
: Access import specs.
:
:
:
: I need to do this for almost 70 16 GB text files.  Each file takes
: about a day to fully load.
:
: Is there a way to expedite this process?  I am really looking for a
: way to save an import spec in Enterprise Mgr.
:
: That way, I can omit using Access and run the whole process as a SQL
: job, with very minimal human interaction.
:
: Any direction is greatly appreciated.
:
: