[dba-SQLServer]Log file size (W2000 - SQL Server 2000)

Patricio Galleguillos pgalleguillos at plus.cl
Tue Apr 29 06:18:50 CDT 2003

Dear Group

Log file went to 2.8 GB with 1.9 GB free on the disk and after a daily
automatic full backup we can read from one of our DBs but not write to
it. So after stopping SQL Server (and Agent) and starting it everything
goes all right until next morning.

After reading books on-line and making some tests in another machine, it
seems that if I make a Full Back Up and put the Recovery model to Simple
and then restore, the log file size goes down drastically.

My doubts are:

Is this the way to do it?

Am I losing important data the log may be storing by changing Full to
Simple in the recovery model?

Is the disk size the source of the problem since backups on this DB only
take 12 MB disk space?

Saludos Cordiales,
Patricio Galleguillos

pgalleguillos at plus.cl