[dba-SQLServer]RE: [dba-VB] Trusted Connection versus What?

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Wed Apr 30 15:50:45 CDT 2003

That's what I thought, and not what I want. I need the security of separate
windows and sql logins. There's history here that I cannot simply revise, I
have to live with decisions made by others and me years ago. Even if I were
free to make changes in this context, I remain unconvinced that integrated
security is better. All I can see is simpler. As I see it, even assuming
that you can log in, then you still have to pass another test in order to
get anywhere near the database -- except in the case of Anonymous, who maps
to Public. That looks to me like wearing two condoms :-)

What precisely does a trusted connection do? Assume that you're cool and
automatically let you into the database? And what does an untrusted
connection do? Assume you're uncool and demand a password (at either or both
the windows and sql levels)?

Anyway, if SSPI = Windows authentication, I need the alternative: mixed-mode
authentication or whatever its name is (windows login + sql login).

My vague game plan was to have a login called Anonymous with no password and
decidely limited privileges. Then the web site can open the door for anyone.
Other logins would correspond to employees, sales reps and so on, all
aggregated into roles defining their privileges. The BOD could see reports
that mere mortals couldn't. My Access app already does this, but now I need
my .NET app to do it :-)