[dba-SQLServer]Server Names on SQL-2000 Box

Nicholson, Karen knicholson at gpsx.net
Fri Aug 8 15:41:16 CDT 2003

Question - is it true that there is a bug in MS that dis-allows the naming
of a server with anything other than normal characters.. our current server
is named MAS-2. When trying to name the new test server MAS-2 (not connected
in anyway to our current server, stand alone test system), it chokes on the
name.  Wants MAS2.  I don't like this because I want to make an upgrade over
the weekend, pulling the plug on MAS-2 and replacing with the new MAS-2.
That way, all applications pointing to that server can just keep on running.
Changing the name seems to be asking for a migraine.

Thanks.