[dba-SQLServer]Truncate Transaction Log

Stephen Hait shait at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 13 16:16:51 CDT 2003

> Hello:
>
> I have a database using FULL Recovery Model.  The Transaction Log is
> about 10 times the size of the Data File.  I just performed a Full
> Database Backup.  How do I reuse the inactive portion of the
> Transaction Log?

Here's one way I've accomplished this:
- Run Truncate Transaction Log from EM for the database whose log
you want to shrink (mydbname)
- Run dbcc loginfo (mydbname) to see status of log file - status 2 = active
log file
- create a dummy table, DummyTrans and insert a lot of rows
until active segment of log moves to top of list

HTH,
Stephen