[dba-SQLServer]Transaction Log *Notification*

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Wed Aug 20 10:25:54 CDT 2003

It's called an Alert and you can have it do any number of things...
Sql Server Enterprise Manager

Management > Sql Server Agent > Alerts

Create a new alert

In the General Tab...
Name : the name you want to give your alert
Type: Sql Server Performance condition alert (make sure to enable this)
Object: Sql Server:Databases
Counter: Percent Log Used
Instance: Your database Name
Alert if counter: Rises above
Value: 90

In the Response Tab...
add the operators who will receive the alert... here you can do a numbe of
trick things... on top of which you can execute a job, such as a backup the
log with truncate.  The methods for alerting is Email, Pager and Net Send,
currently I only have net send enabled on my server but would like to enable
the page setting but have not played w/ that option yet.

simply add the users you want to have alerted and the method and you're
done... if you want to execute a procedure or whatever just select the
Execute Job and the name of the job you want to execute when the condition
(alert) is met...

You can also enable how long to wait before another alert will be sent
again... I have mine set to 60% of log used and 0 minutes and 0 seconds
delay between responses...

-Francisco
http://rcm.netfirms.com

On Wednesday, August 20, 2003 7:27 AM [GMT-8],