[dba-SQLServer]MSDE User Throttle

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Tue Dec 23 11:42:14 CST 2003

Information on this topic seems to be particularly mushy. IIRC, MSDE is
supposed to work exactly the same way as SQL 2K up to a certain number
of users, which I believe was specified as 5. I have personally seen it
work just fine in test circumstances with 10 users. I recall reading a
post either here or maybe on one of the other SQL lists I belong to that
a developer had a working MSDE install with 50+ users, and no
performance degradation.

Has anyone here got any real-world experience with going beyond the
alleged user limit in a production system, or even in a test system?

Another question: how would ADO.NET affect the throttle? For those who
don't know, ADO.NET is a significant departure from standard ADO,
notably in its use of disconnected recordsets.... The implication being
that your period of connection is very brief. So would 50 users using
ADO.NET cause the throttle to kick in?

Does anyone know of any actual benchmark tests that demonstrate the MSDE
throttle's effect? I am no longer in a position to set up such a test
using 25-50 computers; would a test using 5 computers with several
instances of some app or other (Access, QA, whatever) be valid?