[dba-SQLServer]SQL Error message trapping

David Emerson davide at dalyn.co.nz
Tue Feb 18 20:50:49 CST 2003

AXP ADP/SQL2000

In my ADP I have error trapping routines which work just fine except when
an SQL error appears.  The error number is 0 which gives no clues as to
what the problem is.

In most cases I am using bound forms to Sprocs so trapping ADO errors
doesn't seem to be the answer (or is it?).

For example, I try to save a new record and get a message (when I turn off
my error trapping) of "Cannot insert a non-null value into a timestamp
column.  Use INSERT with a column list, or with a default of NULL for the
timestamp column".  I am not even sure why I have the Timestamp columns -
they were created when I upsized from A97!

Anyway - how can I trap the errors and deal with them properly?

Regards

David Emerson
DALYN Software Ltd
25b Cunliffe St, Johnsonville