[dba-SQLServer]MCDBA: Cost of Classroom Instruction versus Cost of Self Study

John W. Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Feb 25 14:16:33 CST 2003

Alan,

That was quite the experience.  Luckily I have amassed a small fortune in
computers over the years and now have a network of 4 machines which allows
me to just do a bunch of what you are discussing.  BTW, upgrading old
computers with new mother board / memory can be quite inexpensive if you do
it yourself and spend the minimum.  This is what I do.  It cost me a couple
of hundred to upgrade my wife's with a new AMD mb (built in everything
including video) $50, proc (AMD 1ghz - 1.5 years ago - $80) and used a bunch
of old memory I had laying around.

Anyway, thanks for relating that.  I self studied and took the Access MCP
back when it existed.  It was definitely cheaper by far than doing the
course.