[dba-SQLServer]SS2K Table and View Permissions Relationship

Stoker, Kenneth E Kenneth.Stoker at pnl.gov
Thu Jun 26 16:04:39 CDT 2003

Everyone,

In a system I am working on, the vendor put large text fields into a single table with a type field to specify its relationship to the record.  Things like Title, Description, various comments, etc.  On the client interface, there are several tabs whose displayed data comes from this single table, driven by the type.  The problem I am running into is that for a particular role, I want select, insert, update and delete for a tab and just select on some of the others.  The tab information is based on a view.

I have tried the following:
	remove permissions on the table, desired permissions on view
		-  does not allow insert, update, delete on tab that needs such permission.  do not have permission on table error.
	give all permissions to the table, desired permissions on view
		-  allows insert, update, delete on tabs where this is inappropriate.
	give all permissions to the table, desired permissions on view along with deny unwanted permissions.
		-  still allows insert, update, delete on tabs where this is inappropriate.

The client is supposedly depending completely on SS2K to drive the permissions, no security built in the client application itself.  Can I get SS2K to do what I want?

Ken Stoker
Technology Commercialization
Information Systems Administrator
PH: (509) 375-3758