[dba-SQLServer]basic question

Susan Harkins harkins at iglou.com
Wed Mar 19 14:55:17 CST 2003

Did you see the response about changing the identity value to no, saving,
and then resetting -- worked like a charm.

Susan H.

> I'd have to take back a part of my previous statement about not being able
to assign a new SEED number for an identity field.  As Billy Pang correctly
pointed out, - DBCC CHECKIDENT(...) allows you to reseed the value for the
SEED parameter.  Thanks Billy.

> However, INCREMENT parameter cannot be changed without recreating the
table.

> Robert Djabarov
> Senior SQL Server DBA
> USAA IT/DBMS
> ? (210) 913-3148 - phone
> ? (210) 753-3148 - pager

db_ddladmin database role, even when it is within the stored procedure that
the user is allowed to execute.  And also, I don't believe you can alter
SEED and INCREMENT properties of an identity field without re-creating the
table or removing IDENTITY all together and re-adding it with new values.