[dba-SQLServer]ODBC-Problem (Cross-posted)

Michael Brösdorf michael.broesdorf at web.de
Mon May 19 03:23:18 CDT 2003

Hi all,

I have a strange problem with my Access 2K app:

The app uses linked ODBC tables to connect to a SQL-Server 2000. One of the
tables actually links a view that combines data from 2 tables. A data entry
form is based on that linked table.

I can update data in all the fields with one exception: when I try to update
data in fields that originate from both base tables I get this ODBC error:

"[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]View of function
'dbo.myview' is not updateable because the modification affects multiple
base tables. (#4405#)"

It does not make a difference if I try that in the data entry form or the
linked table directly.

Now, the strange thing is, if I open the view on the server using the
enterprise manager, I _can_ update fields from different base tables
simultaneously.

Is there any way to 'convince' my app, that this kind of updates _is_
possible?

Michael