[dba-SQLServer]Re: Access to MySQL

Bryan Carbonnell Bryan_Carbonnell at cbc.ca
Mon Nov 10 14:52:18 CST 2003

rl_stewart at highstream.net wrote:

> 3.  MySQL is not free except in a development environment.
> The cost for a production environment is very reasonable,
> around $495 if I remember right.

MySQL IS free even in a production environment. It is released under
the GPL. You may have to get a non-GPL license you are developing a
commercial app for resale, all depending on how you are licensing it.

If you are developing an app for in-house use, I don't think you need a
comnmercail non-GPL license.

This is a quote from their website
(http://www.mysql.com/downloads/index.html) regarding having to
purchase a license:

"You need to purchase commercial non-GPL MySQL licenses:

    * If you distribute MySQL Software with your non open source
software,
    * If you want warranty from MySQL AB for the MySQL software,
    * If you want to support MySQL development."

> 4.  If you are running MySQL under NT, you have to stop the
> database services before shutting down or you will trash the
> install and have to reinstall MySQL.

It does? I assume you are talking about NT 4.0. I have never had this
happen under Win2K or XPP, nor have I ever heard about this happeining.