[dba-SQLServer]Re: Access to MySQL

CYNTHIA SPELL CSPELL at jhuccp.org
Wed Nov 12 08:05:20 CST 2003

Sorry for not responding to the various responses - I've been out for a few days.  We're now comparing advantages/disadvantages between moving from Access to MySQL or SQL Server.  Your comments have all been very useful and I welcome any other advice you can give.

Thanks!

Cindy

>>> rl_stewart at highstream.net 11/10/03 01:54PM >>>
Cindy,

A few things that no one has mentioned.

1.  MySQL does not do foreign key constraints.  This means
that you have to program relational integrity in the front
end.

2.  MySQL does not do stored procedures.  This means you
have to do all of the things you would normally do in a
stored procedure in the front end also.

3.  MySQL is not free except in a development environment.
The cost for a production environment is very reasonable,
around $495 if I remember right.

4.  If you are running MySQL under NT, you have to stop the
database services before shutting down or you will trash the
install and have to reinstall MySQL.

You might want to look at Firebird instead.  From what I have
read about it, it can handle 1 and 2 above.

Robert