[dba-SQLServer]Visio and Data Modeling

McIsaac, Chris cjm at haleyaldrich.com
Thu Nov 20 10:10:42 CST 2003

I've been using Sparx EA for about 5 months and it gets my vote for a
best buy.  You can buy a license for the enterprise version for < $200
and it will do data modeling, uml modeling, requirements traceability
matrices and more.  The report templates are on the weak side but you
can create your own.

The reverse engineering features aren't great. It will bring in your
code (most of it - it has problems with nested classes in .net) but I
wouldn't let it touch my production code.  Normally, I go into the table
on sql server and wipe any pointers to source code files out.  I'm a bit
jaded by my past experiences with case tool round trip engineering so I
may not be the best person to offer an opinion on the subject.

If you can't afford Rose, EA is a nice consolation prize.

The information contained in this communication is confidential
and privileged proprietary information intended only for the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  Any unauthorized
use, distribution, copying or disclosure of this communication
is prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error,
please contact the sender immediately.