[dba-SQLServer]Re: Visual Source Safe Questions

Robert L. Stewart rl_stewart at highstream.net
Tue Oct 21 15:07:43 CDT 2003

Susan,

I can not address #1.

But, #2, the answer is no.  Because Access stores things as objects, you
cannot checkin/checkout individual objects with a tool like VSS.  What you
would need is an Access database to do it.  I used to use a tool called
Version Manager that was an add-in written in Access.  But I have not been
able to find an updated version of it from the creator of it.

Having said that, there are some hidden methods of the application object
that allows you to save things like a form to a text file and bring it back
in later to recreate the form.  So, you could store that text file in
VSS.  The same is true for queries and their SQL statement as well as
modules.  Not sure about reports, but I will let you know.  I don't see a
way of doing it with a macro, but I will check it out also.

You would have to write code to export the objects and then use VSS to
manage them.

Robert