[dba-SQLServer]Is it just me?

John Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Sep 22 09:59:41 CDT 2003

Or is SQL Server a bit obtuse?

I had a badly mangled weekend trying to install a new hard drive.  In the
process I backed up!!! my SQL Server database and re-installed Windows from
scratch.  Re-installed SQL Server.  The install hung the first time.  Tried
to re-install - said it already existed (no program groups though).  Tried
to uninstall, failed with an error message.

Tried a re-install with the standard options (except for where the data
goes) and it worked.  However... the server under the server group had a red
square and the words (under THAT) can't connect or something similar.

Manually started SQL Server. Dicked around.  Dicked around some more.
Dicked around even MORE.

Now I'm getting what LOOKS like a normal SQL Server except NO Databases.
Not even the ones SQL Server builds for itself.  And of course if I try to
do anything I get error messages out the wazoo.

This just sucks folks.  Any advice for the SQL Server impaired?

John W. Colby
www.colbyconsulting.com