[dba-SQLServer]Size Does Matter

Djabarov, Robert Robert.Djabarov at usaa.com
Mon Sep 22 10:46:56 CDT 2003

Very rarely a databases starts up with enormous size, it's historical
data that normally make the database grow.  Sometimes the required
retention period and instant data availability prevent any archiving or
grooming process from reducing the size.  Also, we're approaching the
time when businesses require the ability to store more and more granular
data.  Insome cases the nature of data requires A LOT of storage
(terra-server, nasdaq).  Size does matter but should not be viewed as
the most impressive factor.  What's more impressive is the industry and
system capabilities.

...and "terrible resource and production systems" also come in different
sizes :)