[dba-SQLServer] Builder.com article on SQL-DMO

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Thu Aug 5 11:14:44 CDT 2004

It's nice to know that some of the stuff actually gets read! And once in
a while, maybe even proves useful to someone.

You're quite right. As I mentioned briefly in the tip, I wrote an Access
app that used the DMO library to accompany another app that shipped with
MSDE as its back end. Therefore we could assume that few if any users
would have EM installed. The nature of the app was such that users would
have frequent occasion to install an old version of the database, look
at it for a while, and perhaps uninstall it. Using DMO I put together a
little app that presented the list of servers in a combobox, then the
list of databases on a selected server, then let the user browse to the
location of the backup of interest (typically on a CD), and then install
it, giving it any desired name.

There were a few bumps in the road, primarily because it was my first
use of the DMO library. At the end of the day, however, the most
surprising thing was the small number of lines of code required to do
the job. It was almost shocking. One little thing that tripped me up for
a while was the timeout factor. I had tested it on small databases but
in the field the app would sometimes time out. Once I realized what the
problem was, it was a simple fix.

Good luck with your DMO experiments.