[dba-SQLServer] SQL install f**ked up

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Wed Aug 11 14:48:55 CDT 2004

Arthur Fuller wrote On 8/11/2004 12:13 PM:

>I have asked this before in several lists but so far received no useful
>response, so I'll try again. Can anyone provide a recipe that is
>guaranteed to blow away all traces of MS-SQL on my development machine?
>
>Everything used to work fine, by which I mean the server, EM, QA, Yukon
>beta, etc. Then something happened, no idea what, and now nothing works.
>I can't uninstall successfully, I can't re-install... Nada! I even
>booted safe and renamed the directory, then reinstalled and even that
>didn't work.
>
>Fortunately I have other boxes that I can use, and of course all the
>data is backed up safely (and now resides on said server), but that's
>not the issue. I want to blow away every trace of SQL on this box and
>then successfully re-install. Any suggestions, short of a complete
>reformat?
>
>TIA,
>Arthur

Recently I was messing around w/ my home pc and installed a hefty 250gb
8mb cache drive.  It is ideal for video captuer off my Sony DV camera.
In the process I re-organized drives for better cooling and also messed
around w/ the registry.

lo and behold I blew up my system registry hive by my actions :) and I
didn't even use a backup before I started :D, way to live dangerously.

I brought back my system hive from an old backup but that had obscure
traces of a previous sql 7 install and some other junk.  I downloaded
registry mechanic an that cleaned up the raw traces in the registry, but
there were still issues w/ files which were available on the system but
the registry recognized incorrectly due to the old re-store.

I downloaded this little utility file "TARS.CMD" from Michael Espinola's
personal website, it toggles off all services on your pc.  You can then
try and re-install of Sql Server 2000 + SP3 and get your windows system
working again like new.  I had to do this to get my pc from SP2 to SP4
again and reload SQL Server 2000 develpoer w/ SP3a :)  so much for
fudging the registry :D

hope this solution works for ya

btw, I have a copy of the TARS.cmd file if you want it, contact me off
the list.