[dba-SQLServer] Re: Connection problems

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Wed Aug 11 15:18:49 CDT 2004

Martin,

>> Can you use ISQL to see the database?? <<

Being unable to locate a reference to ISQL in the highly-acclaimed Harkins & Reid book, I reluctantly turned to Books Online. Using an Access 2000 ADP to determine what the connection string was, I fired up ISQL and entered the appropriate parameters, including the Initial Catalog/default database. Interestingly enough, I got a message:

Cannot open user default database. Using master database instead.

I then see the "1>" prompt. I haven't gone any further.

Back in Access 2000 I tried once again to go into design mode for an sproc. Lo and behold, I was able to modify it in Access 2000!? This is on my own workstation. At my client's workstation last week, I couldn't get anywhere. I kept getting a message like "You may not have sufficient rights."

I even tried creating a new sproc and again, lo and behold, there's the template for a new sproc. I don't get it.

Hmmm. I think I'll see if I can get somewhere with Access 2000/XP rather than mess with ISQL. Thanks for pointing me in that direction, though. I may be all right now. Thanks for the help.

Steve Erbach