[dba-SQLServer] Using task manager to close SQL Server

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Aug 18 15:56:21 CDT 2004

I am trying to add a "PK" autoincrement to this huge db I'm working with.
There are around 6 million records at the moment.  I went in design view and
added the field, then "saved" the table and it took off adding the new field
and putting values in the table.  The problem is it is taking FOREVER
(running for many hours so far) and is not giving any status indicator to
say when it will be done.  I absolutely must "get back to work doing some
stuff in the db.

If I "close" enterprise manager in the middle, will it damage my db?  I am
assuming not but don't want to take any chances.

It appears that the reason it is taking so long is extensive use of the swap
file.  Enterprise manager is currently using 421 mbytes on a 512m machine.
I would go somewhere and buy some 512mb sticks if it will help (and it
appears it will).