[dba-SQLServer] Using task manager to close SQL Server

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 16:31:58 CDT 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:56:21 -0400, John W. Colby
<jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com> wrote:
> I am trying to add a "PK" autoincrement to this huge db I'm working with.
> There are around 6 million records at the moment.  I went in design view and
> added the field, then "saved" the table and it took off adding the new field
> and putting values in the table.  The problem is it is taking FOREVER
> (running for many hours so far) and is not giving any status indicator to
> say when it will be done.  I absolutely must "get back to work doing some
> stuff in the db.
>
> If I "close" enterprise manager in the middle, will it damage my db?  I am
> assuming not but don't want to take any chances.
>
> It appears that the reason it is taking so long is extensive use of the swap
> file.  Enterprise manager is currently using 421 mbytes on a 512m machine.
> I would go somewhere and buy some 512mb sticks if it will help (and it
> appears it will).

You know what, I also forgot to mention that you ought ot look into
how you arrange the new hdds for your pc as well, Since you are DOING
some Sql Server development, it is to your advantage to have your
2ndary data hdd on a seperate I/O card, this is important in a
production environment, but also in a development one as well.  What
you'll find is that the system may become busy doing it's updates, but
your PC will continue running like a champ, because all the heavy I/O
process are offloaded to a seperate card/ channel.

So if you don't have a second ATA or SATA card go out and look for one
when you are out shopping for your 1gb of ram.  You'll notice that the
performance of the database increases like nuts, IIRC you just
recently bought a 200 or 250gb drive w/ 8mb of cache did you not?
Adding the I/O card will enhance the performance on that drive (or
your 2ndary drives you have)