[dba-SQLServer] Block size for SQL Server disk

Michael Maddison michael at ddisolutions.com.au
Thu Aug 19 18:44:20 CDT 2004

Most of the recommendations for sector size say bigger is better.  I
have a ppt presentation from UNISYS that looks at all the
options for setting up a SQL server box.  IIRC they recommend 64K
because it allows the fastest file growth.

While SQL uses 8k page sizes I'm not sure that relates directly to
sector size!

If anyone wants a copy of the ppt lemme know.

cheers

Michael M

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:01:05 -0400, John W. Colby
<jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com> wrote:
> I have purchased new disks to build this new SQL Server database on.
> I believe I have read that SQL Server uses 8k block sizes internally.

> Is it useful to format the hard disk to 8K sectors so that the SQL
> blocks map to sectors directly?  Does anyone know if this helps or
> hinders?

Although Sql Server uses 8k block sizes internally I've never heard on
any list that it's a good idea to format your hdd that way... so I'd say
nope.