[dba-SQLServer] 2-minute window

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Wed Dec 8 16:57:01 CST 2004

I have to create a situation in which the customer (web) selects an item
and I want to put a 2-minute limit on the grab, so if the user fails to
click Submit within two minutes the grab is cancelled.

I really have no idea how to implement this. In keeping with my general
predilections, then I would much prefer that it occur in the db not in
the front end, not least because in this app there will be both an
Access FE and a web FE, so I would like both to fire a sproc or
something to effect this 2-minute window.

Maybe I could write the grabs to a new table, but I would need to
observe that in the real table the quantity is 10 and in the temp table
4 grabs are currently active, i.e. there are only 2 items remaining...
which could change if the 2-minute window expires or the user clicks Cancel.

I'm quite unsure how to go about this. Any advice? As stated above, I
would much prefer to do it in the BE than the FEs.