[dba-SQLServer] Date field type

Mackin, Christopher CMackin at Quiznos.com
Wed Jul 14 14:54:24 CDT 2004

If you do all your formatting on the report or form that your users use you can avoid that problem.
Alternatively, add another field that has the real date in it and sort by that.

-Chris Mackin

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-sqlserver-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-sqlserver-bounces at databaseadvisors.com]On Behalf Of Susan
Geller
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 1:22 PM
To: dba-SQLServer at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: [dba-SQLServer] Date field type

In my sql server 2000 table, I have a date field.  When I display that
field in a query it displays as yyyy-mm-dd and then a timestamp.  I want
dd/mm/yyyy and no time.  I converted it using this syntax
convert(varchar, milestone_dt, 101)  and I get what I want, EXCEPT, when
I try to sort by that field, it sorts as a varchar, not as a date, so I
have all my January's together instead of all my 2004's together.  Can I
have this format and still keep it as a date field so it will sort
correctly?

--Susan

Susan B. Geller
Office of Information Systems