[dba-SQLServer] Some quick install notes and warnings on SQL Express 2005

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Sat Jul 17 10:48:23 CDT 2004

SQL Express 2005 is Yukon and replacement for MSDE.  However, like MSDE, SQL Express does not have any administrative interfaces.  Review the installed documentation and its own BOL to learn more about SQL Express. They are supposed to bring out a Beta EM, backward compatible with MSDE.

Some notes I have picked up that may help.

1-------------------------------------------------
 SQL Express can't run on XP Home, so what is the purpose?

One of the purposes for SQL Express is deployment with
applications instead of JET. Now the software companies
involved have to force their clients to buy XP Pro????
Arrrghhhh!

There are rumors you may be able to modify TCP ports to get around this.

System Requirements for Express

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/sysreqs/

2  --------------------------------------------------
FAQ: Installing SQL Express side by side with SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager seems to break EM. It is still broken when You uninstall Express. SQLDMO9 is culprit.

http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2004/07/04/172956.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2004/07.aspx

3 -------------------------------------------
 I noticed that the DTS Runtime will not be included. In Access, you get the DTS Runtime when you install MSDE. Does this mean that DTS will not be available in Access?

Currently, I use DTS to interact with SQL Server databases hosted at ISPs. It is a quick and easy solution to use the DTS Wizard to upload data from the Access database to the SQL Server database using bulk insert. I would hate to see that go away.

4 -------------------------------------------------
SQL Server Express does not have any connection limits.  4GB max size
It doesn't install any test databases but there is a sample pubs database script install from download pages.
I think you can install side by side with MSDE but you will break EM

5.--------------------------------------------------
 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services fails after installing SQL Server 2005
Fix here
http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2004/07/07/175820.aspx

Welcome to the Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta Guided Tour

http://beta.asp.net/GuidedTour/s2.aspx

Beta Private newsgroup -- good for problems

microsoft.private.sqlserver2005.express

http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=sqlserver2005&slcid=us

Express overview
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsse/html/sseoverview.asp