[dba-SQLServer] Update Data From Same Table In Different Database

paul.hartland at fsmail.net paul.hartland at fsmail.net
Wed Jul 21 10:35:21 CDT 2004

To all,

I have two database’s in SQL Server 7.0, Genesis and GenesisTest.  Genesis contains all tables that have been directly exported from a live Access database, and GenesisTest contains some of the tables from Genesis which I am modifying (field names, lengths, datatypes etc).  I have a table called tblPersonnel in both SQL databases, what I want is a query to link the two tables by PayrollNo and update data in certain fields in the GenesisTest database.

Whats the best way to do this, I am such a novice at SQL that I first thought about linking them both into an Access database and doing the query in there, but I’m sure there must be a better way.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Paul Hartland

--

Whatever you Wanadoo: