[dba-SQLServer] Can't Register Server - FINALLY

Eric Barro ebarro at afsweb.com
Wed Jun 9 11:35:59 CDT 2004

This is what worked for me whenever I could not get SQL server to register a server...

In your HOSTS file add an entry for the SQL server with its IP address like so...

192.168.1.254	mySQLServer

Of course if the IP address of the sql server changes you will have to make manual adjustments. In my experience SQL server boxes rarely have their IP addresses changed. This approach also assumes that the SQL server has a static IP address.

---
Eric Barro
Senior Systems Analyst
Advanced Field Services