[dba-SQLServer] Moving tables back and forth between database s

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Nov 9 18:38:06 CST 2004

Thanks Francisco.

http://folding.stanford.edu/

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-sqlserver-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-sqlserver-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Francisco
Tapia
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 6:04 PM
To: dba-sqlserver at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: Re: [dba-SQLServer] Moving tables back and forth between database s

John,
Here are some tips for you to distrbute your processing around other servers
;o)

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/linked_server.asp
By default, when you run a distributed query using a linked server, the
query is processed locally. This may or may not be efficient, depending on
how much data must be sent from the remote server to the local server for
processing. Sometimes it is more efficient to pass through the query so that
it is run on the remote server. This way, if the query must process many
rows, it can process them on the remote server, and only return to the local
server the results of the query. The OPENQUERY function is used to specify
that a distributed query be processed on the remote server instead of the
local server. [7.0, 2000] Updated 2-16-2004

you can read more on the link I provided above... and of course any part of
the openquery returned is processed locally, so you can define how many
fields or which data to get back... :)

jargon</a>