[dba-SQLServer] Is this the best way?

Klos, Susan Susan.Klos at fldoe.org
Fri Oct 1 09:33:47 CDT 2004

What I need is a district Weighted GPA for our state.

Here is what I did and I want to know if it is the most efficient way of
doing it.

1)       I created 2 views per school type

a.       Elementary

                                                               i.      All
Elementary Schools

                                                             ii.
everyone in grades preK - 5 of combo schools

b.       Middle

                                                               i.      All
Middle Schools

                                                             ii.
Everyone in grades 6 - 8 of combo schools

c.       High

                                                               i.      All
High Schools

                                                             ii.
Everyone in grades 9 & 10 of combo schools

2)       I created a view for each type using the union query code you all
helped me with (Thank you very much, by the way)

3)       I created a view for each type using the views in 2) to calculate a
wgpa for the school

4)       I created a view for each type using the views in 3) to calculate
the WGPA for each district

I am thinking I could have done all this in the QA and maybe only created
three views at the end.  I need to be able to export the final results to
Excel.

The job got done the way I did it, I just want to see if there might be an
easier/more efficient way.

Susan Klos

Senior Database Analyst

Evaluation and Reporting