[dba-SQLServer] Re: Union query

Robert L. Stewart rl_stewart at highstream.net
Fri Oct 1 11:52:20 CDT 2004

Susan,

You should also not use the SELECT * for a union query.
You should name the columns in both sides of the union
making sure you order them correctly by matching data
and data types.  If someone changes the structure of
one of the tables, your union, the way you are doing
it, will stop working.

SELECT NameID, LastName + ', ' + FirstName FROM tblEmployee
UNION ALL
SELECT CustID, CustName FROM tblCustomer

as an example

Robert