[dba-SQLServer] Open a text file from SQL Server

Michael Maddison michael at ddisolutions.com.au
Wed Oct 6 07:36:14 CDT 2004

Arthur,

Not sure what you mean by memory variable (in sql I think table) but a
couple of ideas come to mind...
Can you set up an OBDC connection to the text file and treat it as a
linked server?
Or DTS it into a table...

cheers

Michael M

Can someone tell me how to open a text file from SQL Server? And place
its contents into a memory variable? I'm looking at OPENXML but all its
examples use text that is assigned to a variable from within the
example, rather than read in from an XML or just a text file. It looks
like full text search will do it, but that's a lot of install overhead
just to read in a file. Is there a simpler way?

TIA,