[dba-SQLServer] sorting problem

Billy Pang tuxedo_man at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 30 04:55:20 CDT 2004

Hi Mark:

I am using SQL Query Analyzer to view the sorted column.  Usually I get the
db to sort the results before handing it over to the application program
because the db can do a much better job on sorting than the application (in
99.99999% of the case).  However, the application program is superior to the
db in terms of presenting the data; if that is what you are getting at, then
I see your point but it would not exactly suit the current need.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but if I view any column of a table from EM
without explicitly sorting it (ie. the ORDER BY clause), there is no solid
guarantee that the records will be displayed in the same order the next time
the table is queried again.

Billy