[dba-SQLServer] Cannot obtain a lock

Michael Maddison michael at ddisolutions.com.au
Mon Sep 6 21:11:53 CDT 2004

Not my area of expertise but...

try in QA
EXEC sp_lock
and
EXEC sp_who

and KILL
any blocking processes.  Look up BOL for details on each statement.

HTH

Michael M

Well, if it ain't one thing its another.

NOW... The server has stopped processing and all the workstations are
stopped as well.  When I try to look at the server properties I get:

"The SQL Server cannot obtain a lock resource at this time.  Rerun your
statement when there are fewer users or ask the system administrator to
check the SQL Server lock and memory configuration".

Unfortunately I can't check the server lock and memory configuration
because I get an error... "can't obtain a lock resource..."

I am trying to cancel one of the 4 machines import to see if that frees
up enough resources to go look at the problem, but I have to wonder if
the rollback can be done if it can't "get a lock resource".

Is there anything that can be done here?